I am a mood for some reminiscing of the good old DD days. One channel. Fewer ads. Quality programming. A time when celebrities didn't endorse everything under the sun. When there were no 24-hour news channels. When Chitrahaar was the shizzle. When Vico turmeric was applicable, not men's fairness cream. When you couldn't make stars with your thumbs. When Michael Jackson was black.
Mile sur mera tumhara. Hum Log. Buniyaad. Nukkad. Karamchand. Vyomkesh Bakshi. Dee Dee's Comedy Show. The Guinness Book of World Records. Rangoli. Ek Anek. Tehkikaat. Mr Yogi. Jugalbandi. Malgudi Days.
And what about those ads? Nirma washing powder; Fevicol; Parle G; Maggi Hot n Sweet; Rasna; Dabur Chywanprash; Complan; Laxman Sylvania; B-Tex; Cincara; Ajantha clocks; Cinthol; Lifebuoy; Bajaj; Lijjat Papad; Cadbury's; Limca; Gold Spot; Prestige Pressure Cooker; Pan Parag; Woodwards Gripe water; the kid in yellow pyjamas pointing to the giant puri tumbling down the TV screen. The list is endless.
Some unforgettable jingles/punchlines:
- 'Bhool na jaana, ECE bulb laana'
- 'Jab main chhota bachcha tha'
- 'Jaandar savari, shandaar savari'
- 'VICO turmeric, nahin cosmetic'
- 'Boost is the secret of MY energy…OUR energy!'
- 'Zor lagake hai ya, dum laga ke haiya!'
- 'Humko Binnies maangta'
- 'Only Vimal'
- 'Mango Frooty, fresh n juicy'
- 'Namak ho Tata ka, Tata namak'
- 'Jo biwi se karein pyaar, woh Prestige se kaise karein inkaar?'
- 'Humein kya maloom tha aap bhi Pan Parag ke shaukeen hain!'
- 'Meri jaan, meri jaan, murgi ke ande'
- 'Arre huzoor, Wah Taj kahiye'
- 'Khujli karne waale! B-Tex lagaa le!'
What are your memories of that era?